These international symposia started in June 1998 within a four-year co-operative research project between the School of Business, Economics and IT, University West (former the University of Trollhättan/Uddevalla) and Jönköping International Business School, Jönköping University, Sweden. The purpose of the research project was to carry out an assessment of European Union related regional policy initiatives in the so-called "Fyrstadsregionen" ("The four cities region"). This region consists of the municipalities: Lysekil, Trollhättan, Uddevalla and Vänersborg, and the smaller surrounding municipalities within this labour market (commuting) region in the Western part of Sweden. These symposia developed to a fruitful venue and became very popular which led to the decision to let them be a continuing yearly scientific event. We are now planning for the 19th Uddevalla Symposium 2016.
KEYNOTES, PAPER-SESSIONS AND DISCUSSANT
Each of the Uddevalla Symposium starts with plenary keynote sessions from morning up to lunch. These inspiring keynote speeches are related to the overall theme of each symposium. In the afternoons there are parallel paper-sessions, each of them run by a Session Chair and with one discussant allocated for each paper that will be presented.
A list of all keynote speakers so far is to be find below.
Best Paper Awards and International Publications
To stimulate high quality papers a best paper award of € 1.000 as well as a best PhD Candidate paper award of € 700 has been set up. The scientific committee decides on which papers are to be awarded. Leading–edge contributions not only of prominent key-note speakers and senior researchers but also from Doctoral Candidates have been published in different publications such as Papers of Regional Sciences, Small Business Economics, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, and in the form of edited books published by E. Elgar, Springer or Routledge after each symposia. - see Publications.
COOPERATIVE ORGANIZATIONS AND CO-FINANCERS
Except for the three academic institutions - University West, Trollhättan, Sweden, Jönköping International Business School, Sweden and George Mason University, School of Public Policy, USA – also the following organizations have been co-finanzers' or sponsors of the symposia:
- CEnSE - Center for Entrepreneurship and Spatial Economics, Jönköping International Business School, Sweden
- CESIS- Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies), Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden and Jönköping International Business School, Sweden.
- CiiR – Center for Inter-organizational innovation Research, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
- CIRCLE - Centre for Innovation, Research and Competence in the Learning Economy, Lund University, Sweden
- ERSA, European Regional Science Organization
- Fyrbodals Kommunalförbund, Sweden
- Swedbank, Uddevalla, Sweden
- The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation
- The Municipality of Uddevalla, Sweden
- The Västra Götaland Region
- VINNOVA (Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems)
- Research Unit for rural Entrepreneurship and Growth (RUREG), Jönköping International Business School, Sweden.
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT), Portugal , Project PTDC/CS-GEO/102961/2008
- Research Centre for spatial and Organizational Dynamics (CIEO), University of Algarve, Portugal
- European Union Interreg Projects: Except from the birth of the Uddevalla Symposium in 1998, 1999 and 2000, several Uddevalla symposia have been partly financed by European Union
The symposia 2003 and 2004 were both a part of a common research project on Entrepreneurship within Interreg III A Sweden-Norway. This was a co-operation established between University West, Sweden and University College Östfold, Norway. Therefore the 6th Uddevalla Symposium 2004 took place in Fredrikstad, Norway at the University College of Östfold, Norway. furthermore the 16th in 2013 and the 17th in 2014 were partly financed by European Union projects; Interreg Sweden-Norway and Interreg IV A. Sweden Denmark, Öresund-Kattegat-Skagerack. The 18th Uddevalla Symposium 2015 was partly finanzed by INTERREG 4A, SYDDANMARK-SCHLESWIG, K.E.R.N. Europeiche Regionalfond
- University of Southern Denmark, Sönderborg, Denmark, Danfoss Center of Global Business, Denmark
- Universität Flensburg, Germany